Friday 28 January 2011

My Fifth Mistake

In a previous lesson on the 25th of January we learnt a little bit about DTP (Desktop Publishing) also about different types of font and how they're usually used , for example the font type Serif is usually used because it makes small bodies of text as the strokes lead the eye along the line, they usually connote tradition, the past or authority: "This is an example of Serif font"
Sans Serif is french for 'without serif' this is usually used as subheadings and mastheads. "This is an example of Sans Serif text"
The font type Script is used for personalisation it's best to use this sparingly this is usually comic sans and french script and the final font type of Display is only used for particular connotations these are either Impact or Broadway.


We Then explored some simple design principles, four of them to be exact. When I design a page of a magazine or a print advertisement I should consider four aspects:
1. Contrast
2. Repetition 
3. Alignment 
4. Proximity 


Contrast- makes different elements look different so it doesn't look bland and the exact same.
Repetition- gives a unity to the page design, by this I mean things like typography and colour.
Alignment- leads the eye around the page, this is done by where things are placed on the page.
Proximity- places related elements together.




Then finally, I was taught about planning advertising content.
We need a method of planning the content of print advertisements, one of the best known methods goes by the name of AIDA- the initial letters stand for, attention, interest, desire and action. This method is also useful in planning the front page of any print publications as this acts as an ad for the content.
I should also be wary of how I use the image, I should take time in finding the right images and not just rely on taking several and hoping one will work, I should also sketch out what I hope to achieve in the end before I start my work. The power of words is also vital, I must carefully choose the language of the publication appropriately in relations to the target audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment